PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2013, 18:37
OffshoreSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montrose Air Station

First of all, my sincere apologies for butting in on this wonderful thread. You will see from my username that I am not a pilot, and I was born after WW 11, so I’m WAYout of order on 2 counts!

I have read this thread from the beginning over quite a few evenings (and late nights),and have enjoyed every single one of them. I was born near Montrose, which is the site of the first ever military airfield in the UK, opening in 1913, so this year it celebrates its centenary. Here is a link to theMontrose Air Station Heritage Centre for those interested. - http://www.rafmontrose.org.uk/

I have only seen one reference to Montrose on this thread, although it was a training school. What did strike me was the number of pupil pilots who were killed in accidents during training. The same must have been true at Montrose, owing to the number of war graves in SleepyhillockCemetery I always think that Sleepyhillock is a wonderful name for a cemetery,don’t you?

I’d love to hear of any memories of anyone who was based there at any time. I’ll be going to visit the heritage centrewhen (if?) the weather improves. If anyone wants any photos of anything when I’m there, just ask.

It’s been a privilege to share so many wonderful memories with you guys.

Last edited by OffshoreSLF; 7th Apr 2013 at 20:38.