PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Allowing non pilots to fly HEMS
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:55
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks BAP70. We will have to disagree as to whether the medical team should remain a separate but integral unit or be diverted into a multi function role. However your description of the extended aviation role of individuals who are not aircrew does nothing to reassure me.

Turning to the US incident, I think the medical history is muddled as it simply doesnt make medical sense. The pilot may have had an increased risk of a stroke due to family history, hypertension and obesity, but the FAA have a risk assessment algorithm as does the UK. The fact that he had an MRI makes me suspicious that he was investigated after the incident but not before.

The reality is that pilots are more healthy than the general population and have a lower risk of sudden incapacitation. In the UK the CAA is still setting the standard against risks that are some 20 years out of date, and the true risk is now far far lower. Uncle Ian can provide chapter and verse on this. Unless you ban single pilot operations the evidence supports the consensus that non pilots shouldnt fly these aircraft!