PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPAS Pilots Awarded Wings
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:51
Jacko3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pure Pursuit - I think we have all agreed these guys have been through a tough course and have a tough job. They have an important role in modern conflict and they ARE fully supported by all of us. Congratulations to them for 'making the grade' and I have no doubt whatsoever that they are top notch guys.

The point is however, to award these individuals the same badge (and I don't accept a different coloured laurel makes a difference) changes what the badge represents.

The badge has been established for many years now and in simple terms some of the things it does represent is an ability to preform IN THE AIR difficult and complex tasks whilst potentially being shot at, potentially being at low level, in formation, in bad weather, under high G-loading, under time pressure, under pressure to get to that task, under pressure to make captaincy decisions that if wrong could get you and your crew killed.. I think people around the air force in ground branches who enjoy taking the mickey out of aircrew and moaning about their flying pay probably don't have the faintest idea about the stresses of the airborne environment.

The legal point is interesting. I suspect this is the main reason..

We should remember it is soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan who are facing danger everyday and deserve most of our spare attention - worth remembering while we discuss a badge!!