PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the Pilots responsible for the contents of a passenger's suitcase ?
Old 5th Apr 2013, 13:35
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's plenty of good reasons why some people may travel with more luggage than others, and rationally - but maybe not de iure - I can't see how this is anyone else's business, except law enforcement officer's. I'm not Imelda Marcos, but first time I moved to Asia I was lucky enough that check-in staff accepted my 130kg of luggage (I had already filled a 50 ft container with household goods, and compared to that, I thought there was just a tiny little bit left, big mistake, I even needed to buy extra suitcases). At the destination airport, I got a couple of carts to shuttle my luggage to a minivan taxi, then...nothing happens. After a couple of minutes I asked the driver what he's waiting for. "The other passengers, sir". -"I'm alone, let's go ".

No one asked me any questions though. Maybe they should have?

This is a classic service provider issue. Can you hold a phone company responsible if terrorists used their phone network to plan a criminal act? Shouldn't they have listened in on the conversation and warned everyone? Can you hold the company which built a particular road responsible when thieves use it to rob a bank? What about the company that manufactured the escape car? Shouldn't they have a duty to know their customers?

Last edited by deptrai; 5th Apr 2013 at 13:42.