PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Advice
Thread: General Advice
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2013, 11:31
Richard Phillips

General Advice

Hi,

I was after some advice / recommendations / what would you do?

I’ve booked a trip to Arizona to do some hour-building later this year.

I’d then look to do 5-10hrs near the CPL school I choose, to familiarise with airspace etc.

As for commercial schools, I’d like to be a FI as a way to build experience. I’ve read that Tayside & ACS Perth have ‘reasonable’ links to Loganair for FI’s. However, would it be better to do a CPL/FI near London, as there are more schools, more chance of networking with more than one airline etc. Also it might increase chances of actually being employed as a FI down south, as there are more airfields available?

I’ve also seen Leicester Aero Club seem to do the cheapest CPL/FI courses by a few £k..is there a reason for this?

The other question I had was if it is worth the gamble to go all out on a CPL/ME-IR before an FI rating? Main problem is it will cost my left arm for this one…(which is good as I’m right handed?)

My main goal is the airlines, but to try and enjoy the torturous path along the way! Instructing may lead to something in its own right - 'if you don't try you'll never know' etc. so i don't want to start a debate over instructing as a way to build hours.

There is obviously no rush with this decision, but good to know what people think.

Cheers,

Richard

*NB This is all subject to me acing the atpl exams.. (!)