PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Phantom stories out there?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2013, 01:54
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall seeing video footage of another two ship flyby at Alice some time in the mid-late 80s. Pair comes up to the site over Albermarle, up the hill from the east, first one seems a fairly regular approach, few hundred feet above the site, banking left as he does so and off he goes, camera turns back to look for the second and you just see a big grey shadow and hear a really loud "PPPHHHHHHWWWWWWWW!" as the 2nd one goes by at heaven knows how low or fast. Tape then is immediately paused for what reason, I dont know.

Break in the footage, then you see the same pair approaching the Alice site from the west, over the top of the accom ISO's, must have been about 10-15 people stood on Measles Rock (about 10-15, max 20ft above ground, roughly at its highest point) gear down, hooks down.. most of the time, you're concentrating on the guy on the left, in the lead again, sensible height and speed...

... until he drifts out of shot and you turn back to look at the 2nd in the pair who now is heading directly for the cameraman, who, I'll give him his dues didnt flinch til the last possible second, lest he get an F4 hook embedded in his skull. At the last possible moment as the wing passes over his head and the jet efflux washes over the rock outcrop, cameraman hits the deck, viewer gets a facefull of rock, he picks up the camera and turns around to show this particular jet, almost stalling his way down the side of the hill to rejoin the first one (rumour had it the nav's hand was very twitchy on the yellow and black handle for a short while), while all that could be heard from the associated FC's JAFAD's, Scopies et al was much raucous "what the f.. was that!" laughter and one lone voice that proclaimed...

".... and I stayed stood up, you f**king chickens!!!"

and both jets form up again over Albermarle Harbour and head back due east, back to MPA.

No idea what happened to the master copy of said VHS, exactly when it was - fancy some time 87-88, as I saw it at Alice in 89, havent seen it surface anywhere since, not on YT, no trace of it. There were rumours as to who the driver was but cant be substantiated and as he's still serving, I'll not say who I was told that it it was.

All I'll say is that if it was him, it kinda figures. Ballsiest bit of RAF flying I've ever seen (even if it was on video!).

I know quite a few of us scopies got to see it and as a result it was well known... can only assume so for the FC community as well.

As a result, I would venture theres probably a few ex 1435 F4 guys who will know of it. I'm kinda surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet... unless thats for a reason and I've just blown it....