PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2013, 23:45
Macho Grande

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word is that there may have to be a further round of interviews for new candidates, as the number meeting the required standard has fallen drastically short. The maths & VR tests seemed to have caused the biggest problems.
SkyRocket10 - Are you Lindsay Craig or part of the selection team? How could you know this?

Plenty of experienced pilots passed those very same tests (let's face it, they were very easy!) in 2011 when BA were planning on taking on 800 pilots, including a majority with experience flying for airlines...
Depone - When I spoke to Lindsay on the day he told me that part of these tests were designed specifically for the FPP and had not been used before (FPP). In fact I had the same query as yourself, how had veteran pilots fared in the same tests? Were thay an accurate indicator? Answer was he didn't yet know as they hadn't sat them. Experts from the brain school at RAF selection Cranwell were responsible. They know their so I would have to err that know what they are doing.

You must pass each & every element of the final selection day.
Passing isn't designed to be overly hard though. That might sound like an odd thing to say- but minimum pass criteria are just that, minimums. You can potentially get the minimum score in one test yet do incredibly well in other elements and that can swing it in your favour.
Correct!! There are minimums to achieve but at the end of the day, you could have scored 90% across the boards... but if 2 out of 3 people scored 91% then you are at the bottom of the grade curve!! You can be the best of the best (sir!!) but if the other guys in the room on the day pip you at the post then that's tough luck. A rising tide lifts all ships and all that.

I for one know that I let myself down on a particular aspect of the selection and given the stiff competition for this prize I would say that I'm likely to pushed to one side. However... if a lot of other people slipped on the same hurdle, then potentially I could still be in the running.

You can beat yourself up and carve up the day 100 ways good and bad. You can't know 100% where you have fallen down if you don't make it as you weren't the one with the score sheet. Unless of course you sat mute through the interview - I would say that would likely be a stop light.

Best of luck to you all... unless you were in my group, in which I hope that they have shredded all your paper work.