PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'AIRCRASH' Channel Four
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 20:50
P T Flea

Watched some of it and then turned it off.

IMO it is crappy, 'seen it all before' twaddle. I just don't enjoy watching these kind documentaries anymore with air hostesses in tears recounting the tales of how they smudged lip stick due to the captain inconsiderately rolling the aircraft.

It does absolutely no good for passenger confidence. I have no idea why the media victimises flying so much. All I can think is that flying is not yet a fully accepted method of travel in our modern societies. For consider, if someone crashes in a car we never hear about and if we do no one pays any attention because we all have to drive to get places. If a plane crashes it gets huge amount of press coverage that is thrust in our faces. We demand to know the exact reasons why it happened treating it as if flying is a totally infallable method of travel.

But let's face it, people have morbid fascination with plane crashes and it makes people watch certain channels and buy certain papers, so why shouldn't the media take advantage of that.

At the end of the day people are still going to fly. It is going to be a very small amount that choose to take the boat to Australia instead of flying due to something like the programme tonight. We should be concerned about this issue, but I believe it is way beyond our control and has very minor consequences.

PT