PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security- An Inside view
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 20:45
kaikohe76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More on the Airport Security Theme

Aeropig 1, thanks for your posting, I agree totally with your content and moreover the tone of your comments, thanks again.
Like one or two others, it was most definitely not my intention or wish to stir things up with my first posting on this subject, but I still stand by my comments made there. In particular
I continue to assert that, the security system is only as strong as the weakest link and once we start granting exemptions, where will it stop. I would suggest that I could call at my local theatrical outfitters and be kitted out as a police officer, just like I could an airline pilot. OK getting a vaild ID and getting through the check point would be another matter.
I do however also fully accept that all of us will have strong
and varying views on this most important subject, but by using this forum for discussion, we may be able to improve the situation.
On the question of security clearance and vetting of personnel, all I would comment is... When I wore a blue uniform to do my aviating I was security cleared to fly HM the Q (and did now and then) as well as other passengers up to and including the householder at no 10 as well as military VIPs etc. All this, apart from being a superb tour of duty to finish my military flying career, afforded me absolutely nothing in the way of security brownie points when I started civil flying and I never expected it to do so of course.
My point is that, I have seen sensible and thorough security very professionaly carried out on many ocassions mainly in the military and we need the same highly trained professional approach in the civil sector as well, alas at present I think we have some way to go, despite the best efforts of many personnel.