PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Storm ice suspected in Etihad A340 cruise incident
Old 4th Apr 2013, 16:05
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad but true. A certain company back in 90-ies produced book called "Flight Crew Manual", for internal use strictly, with all the arcane stuff from manufacturer's manuals presented in non-politically-correct way, including practical tips&tricks on Wx radar use. Wonder if it is still in print.
- not really needed - there is enough information out there and, believe it or not, there are some pilots who actually know what to do - one could try asking them. I am getting the impression that aviation is indeed stuffed with automaton pilots, who switch on the radar, set 'Auto' gain, 5 degrees up and never touch it again until shutdown - including some pretty experienced ones. "Well, they never trained me or gave me a manual". You would think curiosity might encourage them to at least move the odd knob or two and see what happens to that picture of the CB on the nose. Then, of course, you could search for Archie T's excellent work.

Rather like the BA co-pilot I had once who flew back ATH-LGW, daytime, CAVOK all the way with the radar on at 5 up - and the moon didn't paint once. He's probably a Captain now - hope he has learned a thing or two.