PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2013, 15:06
Danny42C

Auld Lang Syne

Blacksheep,

Sorry I forgot 1261 Sqdn ATC ! But now I have someone to cross-check my memories with ! What dates were you at Thornaby ? (I was there 10/'51 - 10/'54). If we overlap, we'll have plenty to talk about.........D.

pzu,

Marvellous cartoon ! Any idea when it was done - and who was BOS ? Most of the names ring a bell with me, but the faces are out of memory now. Dr Ian Stewart took over from Doc Groves. John Newboult was the sqdn Adj up to about May, '53, when I picked him up from Manby in the Harvard, and he was a S/Ldr then, so Fred Morris must have taken over about that time (which ties in with a '53 date for the sketch).........D.

Smudge,

Yes, I've plenty of memories. Hector Watts used to beat-up his home town of Scarborough (when he got the chance) at weekends, then write letters of complaint about low-flying aircraft to the local rag ! He ran an old Model A Ford saloon from the 30's, IIRC. Most of the Auxiliaries were characters, nearly all were ex-war pilots, and much of the old spirit survived.....D

Cheers to all three,

Danny

Last edited by Danny42C; 4th Apr 2013 at 15:21. Reason: Spacing