PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finding work for the military wives
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2013, 13:39
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alwayslookingup
Anyone remember LinPac at Horncastle in the seventies? Used to send a minibus to Coningsby to collect and return the wives, who were more than happy to work an evening for a bit of extra cash, as were LinPac to have them.

Might have changed now, but in my recollection there were always local employers willing to take on wives, fully cogniscent of the fact they'd only be there for a couple of years, but that there'd be plenty of willing and able replacements.

Some would even say that as many local economies relied on partners working off base as the serving one on base.
We bought son of LINPAC's house in the 80s.

Friend of ours used to run Leicesteralla in Tattershall in the 90s. He closed and moved production to Morocco as he couldn't get the staff. Foggatry's Feathers in Boston went. Gymflex, followed by Tayberry in Horncastle went too. Most recent one to go was Economine in Coningsby, but I think that was entirely recession and not lack of wives.

Then referring to LB's post, I seem to recall that almost all the civil servants at Coningsby were not wife's-of.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 5th Apr 2013 at 15:20.