PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the futur of our JAR-FCL!
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 19:33
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superpilot

Your English is perfectly understandable!

I would like to point out though that you have completely the wrong idea of the European schools, although I can only talk for the UK. I work for a school in Southern England.

The schools were not consulted on JAA implementation, and that fact caused massive problems in 2000 when the groundschool was found to be completely unworkable. The implementation of JARs was a massive expense to the schools, and also reduced their business as people did not want to start the new course at first, and those that did were delayed in training as all failed the exams.

This and the extra complication of the course forced schools to raise prices as courses had to be extended and reduced student numbers on intake and the numbers passing who went on to fly, and therefore hit profits in the schools such that the one I was working for at the time was very vulnerable after September 11th and went out of business.

The schools do not really control prices of courses. Profits are very low and instrutors really rather poorly-paid compared to their expertise - most of my coleagues do it because we love the work. Compared to other industries I have worked in rate for groundschool lectures are rediculously low - as little as £6 per hour, which is comparable to charges in subsidised government colleges for adult education! Most costs come from regulations, fees and taxes. Here in the UK we even pay VAT (sales tax) on courses

The schools are not at fault here, they were not given the choice. Blame the politicians and bureaucrats!