PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beginners iPad for GPS Questions (with apologies)
Old 4th Apr 2013, 12:49
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Beginners iPad for GPS Questions (with apologies)

I maybe have misheard or half heard or got confused or misread too many things and I have tried to search for the answer before asking dumb questions but not definitively and unambiguously found what I want so please bear with me. I’ll start with a few simple questions.

The time seems to have come to buy an iPad (latest 128 gB + Retina Display + 3/4G version). Precipitated by my Sony Reader having expired, my wife wanting something to show her photos on when visiting the family and the fact that we need a good motoring GPS, which will also cover Europe as we kept getting lost around Faro over Easter. In addition my aeronautical GPSs (Pilot III and Garmin 296) are getting geriatric.

1. If I use an iPad for say Skydemon in the aeroplane (DA-40), I cannot use the 3G. I understand the inbuilt GPS needs to be assisted by 3G so as I can't use 3G in an aeroplane and don't have any urge to use it abroad coz of cost, do I need an external GPS (like a Bad Elf) ?
2. I always thought the maps “moved” by constantly downloading from the ether. Without Wi-Fi or 3G how does that work ? (my Android phone uses fortunes of mobile broadband if I use it for GPS/maps/internet when overseas and out of Wi-Fi range).
3. What’s the best way to get 3G ? Have looked on various providers sites (Vod, O2, 3G) who all seem to do a fixed monthly £15.00 (which presumably runs out at the most critical time) or PAYG, which I hate.

Dave