PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Pilot Scheme- Dundee
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 18:57
ChristianR354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completed my ACPS on the 18th January. It was a great course, very challenging and it demands your full attention. Unlike when you go flying with AEF's, here you actual learn how to fly. Its not just a case of a few loops and stall turns then back on the ground 30 minutes later.

The way it works is two courses overlap. So in your first week there will be another course on their final week of flying. They will get priority of the flying so don't expect getting 6 hours in your first week. However, on your second week you'll become the priority course so you'll be getting a lot of flying in. There will be a new course starting in your second week. As I said, you'll have priority over them.

Each sortie is around 1 hour long. Depending on what the exercise is. They try to get you up twice a day. Sometimes you get the chance to go up 3 times! If you're lucky.

All the intructors are brilliant. If you get to fly with the Chief instructor then be prepared to take some criticism. He can be harsh but he expects high standards of flying. Rightly so, as you'll be expected to be flying the aircraft solo after around 12 hours!

There is a small solo exam to revise for also. This consists of Air Law, Information about the aircraft and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Oh, don't forget to take some warm clothes. Its Bl**dy freezing in Dundee. Be prepared for early mornings and tiring days. All worth it in the end though. Fantastic course.

Any further questions feel free to give me a PM.

Good luck for the course. Remember the main thing is to enjoy it. The solo flight is a bonus!

Chris.