PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 18:36
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Kenneth House
There was mention in the report that the contactor had dual coils, but i have not found a datasheet for the device to see the electrical schematic.
Likewise, my search for any info on Zodiac Aerospace electrical data has also drawn a blank.

Thales, as the main contractor appears to have a large number of sub-contractors under its wings. OEMServices seems to be the umbrella vehicle, and Meggitt, Securaplane and Zodiac Aerospace provide the expertise which Thales has sold to Boeing.

The split high/low resistance solenoid winding as detailed by syseng68k would appear to equate to the dual coil mentioned by the NTSB. I suspect that quite some more detail will be revealed when the NTSB undertakes its public investigative hearing (April 23-24) into how the Li-ion battery/charger came to be approved.

The following from the Thales Group website -
Thales offers an innovative and highly secure Li-Ion emergency low voltage system for commercial aircraft. It is the first commercial application of Li-Ion technology anywhere in the world. Thales Li-Ion sub-system comprises:
- a Li-Ion battery
- a Li-Ion an[sic] Ni-Cd battery charger.
- may yet prove to be an embarrassment to not only Thales.

Last edited by mm43; 3rd Apr 2013 at 18:38.