PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somotogravic Illusion
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 08:02
MALT68

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Just do it all gently! Be mentally prepared!

I am a VFR pilot with a PPL(A) and I also fly gliders. I did my SE NVFR many years ago and was trained by Des O'Driscoll (vale) out at Pinnaroo Airstrip (YPNN). That was a black hole when there was no moon. From very early on I was taught about the somatogravic illusion and the importance the flight work cycle, assess performance, cross check instruments and make SMALL adjustments as necessary. Be gentle!
Have your eyes night adjusted too, that always helps!
Have the a/c set up, have take-off trim set, flaps as required. That is, on take off roll, I steer the a/c down the runway using the runway lights as my guide. As I accelerate through rotation airspeed I know that I will most probably lose sight of the runway lights. Cross check that I have a positive rate of climb with the VSI up, altimeter going up, ASI showing a constant speed, engine RPMs constant and not getting louder or softer, crosscheck nose up attitude on AH. Get the landing light off once stabilised in the climb. On a black night there is not much to see outside on climbout!
Also be familiar with the 'feel' of your a/c in different modes of flight. That is the control feel, the sounds of the engine etc.
This is why I like hand flying the a/c, since many autopilots in light GA aircraft are not very good (they hunt and rove) and actually make for a more uncomfortable ride at night!
When preparing for flying at night, I mentally rehearsed the flight, the places to divert to as well as keeping note of the weather for 'go/no-go' decisions. Make sure that the a/c if set up for flight at night and don't go if minimum equipment standards can't be met.
I have also done circuits into other 'black holes' like Kingscote, Maitland on the Yorke Peninsula, Port Pirie.
I have also experienced the leans over the Gulf of St. Vincent on a moonless night (look at the instruments).
I believe that awareness of the somatogravic illusion and flying with an experienced instructor a dark night sites are vital in reducing this type of accident.
Safe flying and have fun
MALT