PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 07:31
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a difficult question to give a general answer to. It will very much depend on average sector length, average weather encountered, average airspace congestion etc.. On shorter sectors, you might never put the autopilot in.

From personal experience though, as a 737 pilot at Gatwick, and still very keen on manual flying, I'm guessing about 1/7th of logged hours were manually flown so about 1400 per 10,000. As a 747 FO out of Heathrow, with an average flight requiring three pilots, 2/3rd of the flight time is logged, but each FO only really gets to manually fly every other flight. Under such circumstances, I guess I average 1/100th of logged hours, so approximately 100 per 10,000. As a Captain in my company, it is basically double that, as Captains have negligible heavy sectors. In my opinion, the maintenance of manual handling ability within long haul flying is a huge skill in itself.

These are only rough estimates. It may be that I am either underestimating or overestimating how much manual flying I tend to do, but I'd say it's in about the right ballpark.

Last edited by GS-Alpha; 3rd Apr 2013 at 07:44.