PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Services and Sydney Airport Management
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 00:58
Up-into-the-air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Services and Sydney Airport Management

Just on ABC 24, story about a go-around with another aircraft on the strip.

Qantas plane in near miss at Sydney Airport - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Qantas plane in near miss at Sydney Airport Updated 2 minutes ago

A passenger on a domestic Qantas flight says a quick thinking pilot averted a near disaster at Sydney Airport.
Ron Burns was on a plane from Adelaide yesterday when he says it had to abort a landing.
Sydney Airport has confirmed that the plane was involved in a missed approach and that another plane was already on the runway.
Mr Burns says his partner saw the other plane on the ground as they were coming into land and then the pilot quickly accelerated back into the sky again.
"We obviously knew then that there was problem and the captain apologised for the delay and said air traffic control sometimes get their timing wrong," he said.
"Well we knew then what had happened and I'm sure that the captain would have had had to fill out a report and has alleviated a major disaster.
"Well I can't believe in 2013 something happened like that because with all the technology and everything in place to stop these things from happening." he said.
"I'm just thankful that the weather conditions were very good and visibility was as good as it was because the radio controllers have made a mistake."
Anyone know the full story??

Last edited by Up-into-the-air; 3rd Apr 2013 at 01:03.