PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Management Course
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2013, 20:39
Walter Atkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen:

This thread has some spirited discussion within and that is almost always educational. It's been fun to read. There are, however, some posts which do not comply with the known physics, and since , according to Sir Isaac Newton, "the physics are everywhere the same", this presents some interesting contradictions.

First of all, several of the Lycoming publications quoted have been recently recanted by Lycoming and have become a sort of embarrassment to them. They are trying to soft-shoe their way around these difficult contradictions. They are making the transition to being on board with the scientifically valid concepts of engine management. We welcome them to the party. The problem for them was that several of their publications were not in harmony with their own engineering data. Between believing the Marketing Department and the Engineers, I'm going to go with the engineers. This has been a problem for Lycoming and apparently a few of this forum's members. Going with the repeatable, hard data is never a bad choice.

Secondly, please do not believe anything I say. For that matter do not believe anything anyone says. Believe the hard data. The hard data does not lie. In some cases, one must be adequately schooled to be able to interpret the data in meaningful manner, but it is there for everyone to see and interpret on their own.

We spent about five years amassing the data for use in the APS class from many sources, including but not limited to Pratt & Whitney, Wright Aeronautical, Lycoming, TCM, and the most advanced engine test facility in the world. We make NO attempt to convince anyone of anything. We simply offer a fire hose of information for each participant's digestion. We have had thousands of pilots, LAMEs, aircraft manufacturers, engine manufacturers and overhaulers as well as engine monitor engineers come to the class. We even had a group of auto engine test facility fellows join us. In not a single instance has anyone offered any data which contradicts what we present nor has anyone taken issue with any of the data we present. Believe the data. Opinions are always suspect. "A person without data has nothing more than an unsupported opinion."

I have not joined the forum to promote anything. If anyone has an engine management question, I will be more than happy to try to present the data or science which answers their question and let each make their own decision as to the proper conclusion.

It may be helpful to remember that, as Boswell said, "It's not what you don't know that hurts you; it's what you know that isn't so..."

I will be traveling from Colorado to Brisbane and Melbourne to be at the APS classes in May and look forward to meeting those of you who will be attending. I can promise you an enjoyable time packed with information that will be useful in saving you money, maybe your engine, and possibly your life.

I look forward to your engine management questions; and working through the answers.