PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Dakota in Burma WWII
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2013, 05:42
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
WHBM,

The squadrons involved and on which your father probably served will have been shown in my first post on this Thread. Get his Record of Service or Certificate of Discharge and that will tell you everything you need to know about WHBM senior's RAF stint - absolute goldmine and opens up a whole series of opportunities to discover more of what he did.

Tiger Mate,

The first offering is looking good. If you can't find photographs of the airfield, you could try looking up the circumstances in which F/L Michael Vlasto was awarded the DFC. He saw a sign on the ground saying something like 'land here' and he did in an unprepared area to pick up a bunch of wounded squaddies, who would probably have died otherwise. The same site was used the following year as one of the fly-in sites for Operation FRIDAY, the 2nd Chindit expedition. Your painting wouldn't have any vehicles but could show troops gathered round a Dakota in a clearing, loading casualties aboard etc. See the book: "But Not In Anger" plus those mentioned in my other post.

Good luck with the project and please keep us all posted. I still want to know about the Whirlwinds though - my gang are interested in getting their prints!!!

Old Duffer