PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2013, 04:48
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having retrieved the iPad from the grandchildren who commandeered it over the Easter weekend, I must agree with Danny that a Harvard would have done just as well for his uncomfortable spares run, and I was harking back to our non difference of views of the need or reason for the Spit two seater, I can't imagine why it was invented. But I am glad it was, I enjoyed it. I thought I read somewhere that Jeffrey Quill, or someone of his standing wondered why they didn't keep the rear seat and put an extra fuel tank in the front seat position to give extra range for the PR variant. Maybe an urban myth!

I'd better finish off my 'last flight in a Spitfire' story which I referred to before, the one where I brightened BEagles' day by appearing in the circuit at Cranwell. After lunch my accompanying Jet Provost and I leapt off for Coltishall, he had to do all the R/T as all the RAF stations had UHF and my Spit only VHF. After clearance from Colt and thumbs up signs from my friend, and green light from the R/W Caravan, I swept in fast(ish) and low for a run in and break to show the resident Lightning chaps how it should be done!

Past the caravan, tight left climbing turn to short downwind leg, power back in the turn, speed OK down with the wheels, ease on trickle of power round short curved finals, no trickle of power! Only large three blade prop grinding to a halt! Cut downwind even shorter, delay flaps, made runway easily, came to a halt. Now what with trainee Lightnings in the circuit using fuel at alarming rate and seeing defunct Spit on their only runway. Out of the cockpit, start pushing and luckily caravan had seen it all, notified Tower, and in a flash W/Co Flying who I knew of old, was with me and we managed to push my favourit (until then!) Spit out of the way.

My last Spit flight! The ride back to Cranners in the JP was a distinct anti climax!