PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why most PPLs are not confident pilots - and probably shouldn't be!
Old 17th Feb 2003, 12:29
Lt Manuel Hung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What utter rubbish Whirly. With an attitude like that, how do you ever take off? If I didn't have confidence in my ability I would never leave the ground! If driving in London gives you a headache, how do you ever cope with flying? If anyone is scared while flying then they either require further training, or are unable to cope with the stress and should stop. I suspect (& hope) however that you are overstating the issue. As has been already stated, pilots are trained to a much higher standard than drivers. As stated above, it takes only a few hours to teach someone how to control a car safely, the rest is learning to survive the roads. Many people go solo with 10 or less hours of flying, the balance is learning to survive.

Being nervous however is another story. Anyone who isn't slightly nervous at take off (in particular) doesn't appreciate what they're doing. If you don't run through the "what if the engine fails at 50 feet" type scenarios every time then you will end up a smoking hole in the ground when it happens, becase you will be too busy being surprised to save your own neck.

A little nerves is good, and keeps you focused. Being scared will reduce your ability to cope with the unexpected, and that's what can kill you.