PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2013, 20:49
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
Geriaviator, the Hastings Mk1 was actually not among my steeds, for it had become the Mk1A by my time with the underwing External Auxiliary Tanks that brought its fuel capacity up to that of the Mk2 that could carry its fuel entirely in the wing tanks.
I'm sorry that you were incommoded by the rear fuselage excursions but you had obviously made whoopee by the distance separating you from your mother's supervision with inevitable results. Yes, being unpressurised and having a combined double freight door and para door on the port side with a second para door starboard allowed for somewhat excessive ventilation and cooling in the rear. It was very comfy right up front though, didn't they allow you a visit?
As to the conveniences Danny, Elsans yes, but in two properly doored toilets at the rear. It was the Hercules that had one Elsan only, stowed halfway up the rear side fuselage that had to be lowered for use and around which could be pulled a glorified shower curtain. We have already discussed the matter of fact attitude to these matters by our transatlantic cousins though so I'll leave it there, other than to say that reading the Times needs appropriate space in which to do so, don't you know? It doesn't seem that your new home even aspired to that, but attitudes were less demanding in those days. My one and only OMQ (at Hullavington) had two fires to tend throughout the winter, one in the summer. The lounge coal fire's back boiler serviced the one radiator in the main bedroom upstairs. The kitchen's coke stove providing hot water for bathroom and kitchen alike. So two bunkers outside for the two fuels, to be ordered and replenished in good time before running out. Nice house though, and handy for the M4 which was then newly built. Worth a bob or two now even in these restrained times.