PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MV Amberley Rescue 2 Apr 1973
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2013, 19:13
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
MV Amberley Rescue 2 Apr 1973

40 years ago the weather off the East Coast of the UK was even worse than today, with 60+kt north easterly winds and frequent snow showers – weather that was on the limits for the Whirlwind. MV Amberley was a relatively small collier caught up in the storms, and when her cargo started shifting and she lost steerage, a major rescue attempt got underway. Whirlwinds from both Leconfield and Coltishall were scrambled, although starting them (gust limits on rotor engagement) was interesting, and in all 4 crews (I think) eventually got airborne. Conditions in transit were horrendous, and winching survivors off the vessel in the sea state prevailing was extremely hazardous. Bowsers had to be sent to Cromer as by the time each aircraft had lifted all the survivors it could carry fuel was extremely short and just enough for the short downwind transit. At the same time two AEW Shackletons diverted to the overhead as top cover, with Lindholme gear available (but probably not much use) if required.

At the end of the day of what was probably the most intense job the rotary SAR Force had experienced up until then, 1 Air Force Medal, 3 Air Force Crosses and 3 Queens Commendations were awarded, 16 men had been rescued, including the Captain who was the last one off the ship as it rolled over. Subsequently a number of members of the crews involved were given further international awards at a ceremony in USA (sorry, don’t know which). Many other people were involved, but what I saw that day in the overhead , whilst we were also being thrown around by the turbulence has remained one of the most memorable, whilst also giving me a reason to go rotary.

Unfortunately all the photos I took of the event (from the AEW Shack) were handed over to the RAF on return to Lossiemouth, and then never saw the light of day again, although a painting of the incident was produced later. This rescue, although it has faded from current memories, was on a par with Piper Alpha, Fastnet and similar, considering the underpowered nature of the Whirlwind and the prevailing weather.

As we start the wind down of military SAR services, it is worth remembering the major jobs from the past, and hand the baton on to the new kids on the block to carry on the traditions. To all SAR crews past, present and future – as the navy would say – BZ.