PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaps on take off
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2013, 16:08
hvogt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLOS

My first reply to your question was based on a brief look at the relevant certification specifications for take-off configuration warning systems. I put the word 'guess' in italics, because I know nothing more about such systems than what is (was) required for obtaining a professional pilot licence. I must admit that, since the question was posted in 'Spectators Balcony', I thought a rather short reply would do. I hope you will forgive my arrogance.

On our side of the Atlantic, the systems in question are certified under the Certification Specifications for Large Aeroplanes (CS-25) of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). The Agency has published acceptable means of compliance (AMC) along with the specifications. It was from a brief look at these AMCs that I saw the problem of unwanted or nuisance warnings is an important design aspect.

A design which would be capable of physically inhibiting the take-off roll might have prevented some of the accidents already mentioned in this thread. On the other hand, any system that could prevent an aircraft with running engines from rolling could prove fatal in case of a malfunction. To pick up the analogy to your car, what would happen if the system which blocks the ignition when the gear lever is not in neutral had a malfunction and would engage while you were overtaking on a motorway? Nothing you couldn't handle; you'd just switch on the warning lights and bring the car to a stop. Now, what would happen if the malfunctioning take-off configuration warning system of an aircraft would engage during the take-off run, shortly before the aircraft has reached a speed where it could safely take-off but is already too fast to stop within the length of the remaining runway? Obviously, the outcome would be rather embarrassing.

Again, I must emphasise I have no background in aircraft design or engineering and probably someone with a deeper understanding of system design will find good reasons for allowing a warning system to inhibit an attempted take-off roll.

Last edited by hvogt; 1st Apr 2013 at 16:10.