PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helos for the RAN
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2013, 01:03
BluenGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MH60R Crewing Options

I wonder if anyone can shed light on a snippet of info I heard recently.

The USN MH60R is certified as a two-pilot aircraft. This is important because it affects things like IFR clearance, Minimum Equipment Lists etc. The Australian Navy has insisted on operating it with one Pilot and one Aviation Warfare Officer (Observer) in the front.

I heard recently that the USN training squadron has refused to let the AvWO's in the front seat of the USN Romeos being used for training the RAN crew because it is contrary to the certification baseline. This will have significant implications for the introduction of the Romeo?

I understand that there was a study done regarding the crewing options for RAN aircraft a number of years ago by one of the Fleet Air Arm's most experienced pilots, and the recommendation he came up with was to go to a two-pilot crew (plus Senso in the back). This plan would have halved training times, reduced the number of people required and saved bucket loads of money (i.e tens of millions per year). The Senior sirs in the FAA didn't like it because they thought it would be unpopular, and most of them were Observers. The pilot who did this study eventually resigned in disgust, as I understand.

Adopting this plan would have prevented the FAA being in a pickle today, perhaps?