PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 23:06
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view is that I would like it, being more of a STN fan myself, which I'm sure many of you will already know HOWEVER being an analyser of airline and airport routes and timtables, I see it as being a fairly unlikely move.

It goes back to the situation discussed above about Ryanair being a deterrent to some traffic. Perhaps what I should have said in in my earlier post is that any airline that wants a base OR would fly high frequency into Stansted may be put off by the large Ryanair presence. Airlines flying say 2 or 3 routes with up to only a few flights a day may not be so bothered about Ryanair, especailly if where they would serve is not served by Ryanair. (That's why I think Air Berlin, Aurigny, Germanwings and Pegasus have not moved away from Stansted because Ryanair doesn't serve their home markets, only FR's Weeze route competes indirectly with AB Dusseldorf route).

Therefore I think Wizzair would be one of those put off by Ryanair since a lot of the routes they serve, especially to Poland and the Baltic states, are already frequently operated by Ryanair from Stansted. I know Wizzair do compete directly with Ryanair across many airports in Europe, but Stansted is Ryanair's home turf.

However, since the Romanian market is unserved from Stansted and Bulgaria virtually unserved, another option may be to only move routes to those coutries, splitting services between both Luton and Stansted, like they do in Rome for example. For operational reasons however, I would find that move surprising although since they don't have a base at Luton that may make it more feasible but I'm not so sure on that, you'd need to ask somebody with a little more knowlege on operations. I aslo think Wizzair would have to give up the huge influx of traffic between 7:00 and 8:30am as slot usage at Stansted is very high already at those times. Flights would probably have to be spread out more throughout the day or in the quieter afternoon periods which may not be ideal for some passengers.

At most, I think you'd get a split between both airports with Bulgarian and Romanian routes going to Stansted and the others staying at Luton but there would probably have to be a heck of a good deal they virtually cannot turn down for them to even consider that in my view.

Last edited by FRatSTN; 31st Mar 2013 at 23:10.