PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 22:34
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizzair

With all the talk of new owners and trying to attract new business to the airport, I was wondering on what you guys thought of the possibility of the new owners of Stansted trying to attract a major new customer like Wizzair to the airport and stealing them from Luton as the airlines London hub...

Im sure if some of the Luton Fanboys are frequenting this forum, they will be telling me to shut up and say this has been discussed by me in Luton forum, but was interested in getting a balance opinion.

Being more of an LTN fan myself, I hope they don't leave, but trying to keep the discussion balanced. It does make me wonder if MAG have an airline like Wizzair on their wish list as a potential customer they would like to attract.

With the airline having no aircraft based at Luton and only night stopping a single A320 in the summer months to cover the Spilt and Dubrovnik services, any move for the airline would be painless. While at the same time bringing around 25-30 extra flights a day to the airport and boosting passenger numbers by around 2.5 million a year.

Due to the number of flights a day and Wizzair turning the airport pink and purple between the hours of about 7.30 and 8.30 every morning with around twelve A320's on the ground, I doubt there are any other London airport other than Luton and Stansted that have the capacity to handle this at present.

Wizzair is a very price sensitive airline, and if they could be offered a financial deal, which LTN couldn't, I reckon the airline wouldn't hesitate to move if the price was right, this has been demonstrated in the past by them moving their Warsaw ops to Modlin and similarly in Bucharest and Kiev.

The only thing I can think of, that could possibly deter them is flying head to head with Ryanair on a number of routes... But Ryanair flies head to head with them out of Warsaw and Budapest on numerous routes and Wizzair seems to be holding their own and recently Ryanair announced they were cancelling a number of routes out of Budapest, while Wizz are basing another A320 their from this summer.

Be keen to know all your views...