PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects in South America and Argentina
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 15:59
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no probs. glad to help/give pointers.

Argentine system is bit more quirky in a way. Not considering bureaucratic bull****, of course.

The commercial licence eligibility/experience requirements are based on 200hrs from doing PPL flight test officially. (even if reality may be bit of paper shuffling at school not to 'go over') Then you got the HVI - IR/IFR rating. Night rating is normally done towards the CPL checkride, so the twin rating.

You can definitely do fires spotting, meat bombing, glider towing, small charter/scenics (translados/bautismos). The FI training is towards the 500hr flight time, to include the course/training with 500 or more hours at the end of it. I don't know much about the duration etc, I only did some flying towards PPL in Argentina.

The 'Primera classe' is for airlines, although you can fly bizjets multicrew (like one friend, but he already had instructional experience) without PC, as I understand it.

There are Argentinos getting jobs in LAN Peru or Chile, even COPA, as it's possible to get copilot/FO gig after training, obviously, subject to this 'near insurmountable' OACI 4 requirement, haha. Not that it's of same standard as UK/Europe test standards, very likely. I mean, there are guys who can get FO job, but virtually no English skills. Which is why people tried to speak English with me a lot while I was there, although it was more of a burden to me, trying to do informal conversation classes, than just speak Spanish. Pues, no importa.

I don't know how you're going to sort permanent residence. From the official sources when I looked at it, getting married or being investor in Arg economy/company (pure madness, TBH in these days) are two 'easy ones'. Sure, you can just do the run across border every 3 months, to be 'legal stay', but not for jobs legally. People who do some studies or teach English often do so, to avoid all the paperwork hassle. Oh, and conversion of foreign CPL/IR, another headache, especially if not from Spanish speaking country. I don't know details, but make sure you got apostilled original documents, like birth certificate, high school/secondary school diploma (Uni degree doesn't matter), then you're gonna need to have it translated at APPROVED translator for your country/language in Argentina, likely BsAs, so don't waste money on translating it to Spanish 'back home' as it counts for nothing.

Contact school you have in mind/is recommended to you and talk to them as they can give you more detailed info if they got expeirence with it. Chances are you'd do more flying than you'd expect for conversion. Oh, and have everything STAMPED, from school, govt organisation with the docs/apostilles de la Haya (Hague), logbook from school etc. Everything is more believable with stamps. Latin America just like Africa, haha. Go bonkers with important looking stamps. :-)