PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Flight 742 "flight control system" problems
Old 31st Mar 2013, 14:14
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW

first, why did I write "DIALS"? I wrote it because it rhymed with SKYLES, the copilot's name. What I meant is that there is more button pushing and head down time in a an airbus than older types.

And mounting engines on wings in pods...now I had more laughs out of this one than just about anything. Its more a structures thing than to use assymetric thrust for yaw or pitching. Oh and by the way, if you have engines on the wings you need more of a vertical fin/rudder.

And deep stalls have been mitigated by easy aerodynamic fixes like vortilons.

and once again clandestino does not understand an air molecule is different than a goose.

consider the goose, flying along thinking gooselike thoughts...hmm, look at the empenage on that gander and bam, gets sucked into an engine.

or

what is that big silver thing coming at me...bam hits the fuselage, or even better yet...oh, I'll dive below that big silver thing.

sorry clandestino, you are not accounting for other things than airflow....oh and I asked a question about airspeed/pitch at time of bird strike...still waiting for an answer on that one.
clandestino, the engine is not fully protected in a rear mounted plane...but even you, the master quoter must acknowledge that if the engine has nothing in front of it like on the 'bus there is NO chance of anything getting in the way of the bird, except the engine

and putting the engines on the tail at least gives a chance for a bird to hit something else than the engine first.

and that bit about a once in a lifetime event ...what skills did sully use in ditching the jet? wings level, maintain flying speed, touchdown ...oh yeah, we do that on most landings, don't we? sure if there is a X wind, we throw in some crab and maybe even wing low, tut, tut, the basic skills of any ditching are practiced on every flight.

as far as ''sucking ice'' and the JT8d. It wasn't ICE it was HAIL (although hail is frozen too). And I recall a TACA 737 with cfm's having to land on a levee and it only SUCKED RAIN.

The HAIL oblitered the windscreen too,making an off airport landing more difficult.

Sucking HAIL can be avoided by adjusting wx radar and knowing a possibility of hail exists.