PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossed over to the dark side
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 14:07
Yellow Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something Else To Try

I don't have as much experience of FSX as the other helpful contributors, but I'm sure you'll get value for money out of it compared with the cost of airborne time!

You could also supplement it with another piece of software that I have found tremendous, called RANT (Radio Aids Nav Tutor). It is far simpler to control than a full simulator, which isn't a bad thing when you are learning; you can concentrate on interpreting the instruments. Lots of animated tutorials and then opportunities for practicing (including a PAUSE facility, how good would that be in the air?). It's especially helpful for NDB/VOR, for example.

I taught, and examined, IF when I was in the RAF, and really wish RANT had been available then. I have heard that the RAF do use it now, though I can't confirm that personally.

It was invaluable when I was preparing for my own IMC rating recently, and I had good support from the company. You should be able to find it for around £80 - not bad compared with half an hour or so in the air?

Good luck

Last edited by Yellow Son; 31st Mar 2013 at 18:49.