PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thursday night diversions CLK
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 12:31
broadband circuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It happened last year..Then we were given 60 min rec extra,now it seems 30 to 45 min is the cfp mandate..

Guys these are the times to load more gas,not the gin clear days..Ops dont fly these A/C day in day out..We do..put on the gas you think you need..

Regionally its a no brainer..
Whilst I don't disagree, your solution is to merely treat the symptoms. What next? 1 hr, 2hr, 3hr??? The root cause never gets fixed that way. Because the real problem(s) is(are) systemic (ATC, mainland airspace, plus, plus, plus), the only way to improve things is political/commercial pressure.

We all know how much sway big business has with the HK government. If the bomb-burst of CX/KA aircraft diversions from HK to places like ZGSZ, ZGGG, ZSAM, RCKH etc was to start happening twice a week, the pax complaints in the press would be possible to ignore, and CX/KA/Swire/CAAC would be all over the HK governent, both publicly & privately. Only then will there be genuine systemic improvements.

CX do a cost-benefit analysis. They accept a certain percentage of flights will divert when CFP is carried. As long as that is cheaper (totalled over a year) than giving every single arrival into HK another 15 min REC EXTRA, then things won't change. What they count on is for us to be destination minded & carry some extra when necessary.

It's a chain of events. Effective today, we should always carry CFP - no more. If that's not enough & too many people end up elsewhere, they'll raise the standard REC EXTRA. If that gets too expensive they'll take it up with the HK Government.

And before anyone starts casting "unprofessional" accusations, I'm not espousing less than CFP (unlike some STCs). I'm definitely not suggesting ignoring the requirement to always have fuel to go somewhere & land (quite the opposite). Take CFP - if you need to divert, then do it.