PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristows to take over SAR from 2015
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 10:39
Ploughman'sBreakfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shackman,

I believe I was the idiot dangling under your Chinook that 'rescued' the Cabbage Patch doll from amongst the blue sharks. Because of the horrendous rotorwash from the Chinook we were winching at around 80ft and the floating object looked like a baby from that height. We also recovered a sonarbuoy and (almost) a sunfish, which looks like a body when floating on its side. As you mentioned, the first day was very long.

The aircraft were fitted with an Andover tank and a rudimentary wet-fit floor (plastic sheeting bodge-taped to the floor), which stripped away as soon as the front cabin door was opened.

I remember the very rare steak we were served in the airport on the first night, which didn't seem appropriate under the circumstances, and the interesting car ride across Cork to the Irish Army barracks. Our driver was desperate to shake of the Special Branch tail, which he achieved by jumping some lights.

Not put off by the experience I was posted to SAR in the same year. To those who suggest that RAF SAR was non-military at that time I say that I totally agree. That's what I liked about it. Each flight was commanded by an older Flt Lt who's only interest was to run a professional and efficient flight rather than creating extraneous work to further his career. Therefore, I totally agree with Al-bert's analysis regarding when the rot set in - when they made RAF SAR a career stepping stone.

I will be sorry to see the demise of RN and RAF SAR, but I understand the requirement to cut costs. I feel really lucky to have been involved in an enjoyable and extremely rewarding job - at the right time.