PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westland Scout
Thread: Westland Scout
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 06:33
tabdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westland Scout

Best helicopter I've flown probably because it was my first. Hydraulic failure is not a big problem - just a bit heavy on the controls until you have slowed down. One can still hover without hydraulics although it is easier to slowly run-on to land.

Engine-offs are a bit quick until you get used to them. On the other hand it is much easier to pick you landing point because there is not much choice - it has a fairly steep glide angle once the engine has stopped. I think I would be safe in saying that fewer pilots have been hurt following an engine failure than in most other types. At one time the engine was very unreliable. I would rather land a Scout onto rough ground or a ploughed field than a Jetranger - I have plenty of experience on both. Nonsense to say you have to run-on. You can do a zero speed as easily as any other helicopter but you must remain in practice with the scout because there is not a large margin of inertia in the rotor - but being so strong it can drop harder without damage compared to the more delicate helicopters.