PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somotogravic Illusion
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 07:15
Bankstown Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely learned on a night flight from TW - GLI. Quite an overcast night but technically NVFR. Departed off RWY 30 at TW and circled up to the LSALT of 6400. I had definitely felt a little 'off balance' during the rotation and left hand circling climb but flew the instruments and mostly ignored the lights on the ground that popped in and out of view as we went around and around.

Tracking to GLI, after setting power etc, I relaxed back a bit and settled into the short easy cruise.

In my field of view there was one bright star about 30 degrees off the right nose about 45 degrees 'up' and one farm house light about 45 degrees 'down' off the left wing.

Despite the instruments, there was nothing I could do to shake the feeling that I was in a 30-40 degree left bank and about 20 degrees nose down.

Engaged the autopilot and closed my eyes for a second, when I looked back up 'normality' had resumed.

It certainly taught me that despite practice, training and experience, the inner ear is a powerful thing!