PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates or FlyDubai
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 02:23
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No airline is perfect, and EK clearly has its own issues like most airlines. Flying heavies worldwide will be exhausting at times and living in Dubai regardless can be a cultural wake-up call.

But this recent post by a FlyDubai pilot caught my eye. Sounds very much like Ryanair but in a hotter climate (and flights into war zones). I copied this from the other FlyDubai thread :

Another roster is issued and it's just more of the same. 3 nights in a row, starting with the shortest and getting progressively longer followed by 2 days off and then straight back into earlies. I don't have more than 2 days off together for the whole month. Unfortunately the manager of the department who issues these rosters has to be the most incompetent individual I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Then again, the office staff only get 2 days off a week so why should we get more days off than them.

If you do want to come out to the UAE I strongly advise you to apply to the big boys first. No job will ever be perfect but this place should be your last choice.

- You will fly between 850-900 hours a year with minimal days off
- You will fly rosters that would not get through a fatigue management system
- You will do layovers in third world countries
- You will fly into war zones
- You will fly deep night shifts returning mid/late morning

Doing all of the above knackered!

Don't get sucked into the trap of thinking that you will see more of your family here than what you would at Emirates because you are home after 99% of your duties. Think about it, 4/5 lengthy days on followed by 2 days off, finishing late on your last day and starting early on your first. On your first day off you are shattered and on the second day off you are already preparing yourself for the next duty.

A previous post mentioned that we mostly do 2 sector days/nights. On the whole that would be a true statement but you have to consider that the destinations are constantly challenging ( terrain/RT/incompetent dispatchers/difficult passengers ) Some of our 2 sector days consistently go into discretion, all of which takes its toll after a while. We do also have 4 sector duties even through the night, fancy that?

Do your homework on house prices if you are considering coming out here. You have been warned !!!