PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Blue Queenstown incident
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 01:15
Ollie Onion

Received 219 Likes on 75 Posts
Really, my passengers want a Captain in charge who is willing to break the rules to get them to their destination. I believe in my human factors training this was called 'get-there-itis' and I am sure it was discouraged. A can do attitude in my book is to explore ALL options available to you within the rules to find a solution to a problem. Blatantly ignoring rules set out in your ops manual is not a 'can do' attitude but more an example of negligence of your duty. What rules are 'important' enough to observe??

Say your medical expires today and you are delayed meaning that if you take off you will land 1 minute past midnight with an expired medical, would you bend this rule?

Your DA for an approach is 250 ft, cloud being reported as overcast at 200 ft, at the DA you are not visual, do you demonstrate your can do attitude and push on a bit further so not to disappoint you passengers?

Your Op's manual says a minimum of 5 cabin crew required for a flight where as the legislation says 4 is the minimum. One of your crew doesn't report for work, do you load the passengers and go anyway?