PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A320 at Marseille on Mar 11th 2013
Old 30th Mar 2013, 23:07
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another apparent approach and landing event, if not even a near accident?? When will operators, Authorities, ANSPs, and OEMs finally realize this is completely unnecessary,now with RNP and GLS potentially available for every runway end on which jettransports operate. To continue this "non-precision" or even "visual approach" madness, or even sustained use of flawed and unnecessarily expensive ILS, as in the A340 "event" at LFPG on March 13, 2012 (see Flight International19-25 March 2013, page 15) with air transport jet aircraft, is not only unnecessary, ... it now borders on being irresponsible. We can do much better,much safer, much more efficiently, AT LOWER fully allocated cost. We should even do it for use in visual conditions, as for preventing the fatal A300 crash in good weather at Nagoya years ago. It is long past time to fully implement having RNP and GLS based paths available globally, for use 100% of the time, except perhaps for some basic skills training, in simulators.
I would prefer that the flight crew on aircraft on which I fly are trained appropriately to be able to fly the aircraft whatever the approach rather than to restrict the way the aircraft can be flown to compensate for their incompetence. I want them to cope with whatever they are faced with.

What is irresponsible is the level of competence on a flight deck is constantly been eroded by airline management and in many cases a toxic culture of arrogance.