PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2013, 22:12
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
Geriaviator, the leaving of Aden was clearly a very emotional experience for you. The pangs seem as sharp as ever, despite all the years that have passed. I can appreciate the turmoil, for I remember like you touring the station before my repatriation flight, once of course with a manilla card collecting signatures from accounts section to the bicycle store and once more to take in all that I could of its sights and sounds (rather more scenic I suspect, as it was RAF Changi). The greatest loss though was, as with you, of friends that I would not see again for many years, if ever. That you were then so young made the parting the harder still, never mind being a "mere" dependent. What stayed with you clearly were the memories, so vivid that you have made us all witnesses to the joy that was your boyhood. Would that we could all be so blessed!
Are you sure that the Station Pantomime, the Chorus Line Kids, even the somewhat Geriatric Marcia (well, 18, I mean!), were not all part of some elaborate cover for something more sinister? Was there a roll call the next morning, were all still present? You don't remember any puns about Greek Urns, perchance?

Danny, I too am much impressed by your seemingly robust and dependable Bond Minicar in which you crossed and re-crossed the nation loaded down with all your worldly goods, while lesser mortals such as I merely sent our trunks PLA, ahead of our own journeys by rail. I wouldn't be too surprised to learn of a record breaking run in the Monte Carlo, but there I go again pre-empting future escapades...sorry!

Tim, I can but echo Danny's warm welcome aboard. Kind of you to include me in your list of contributors, but I am a mere spectator, a member of an entranced and enchanted audience.
Gaining your Wings in 1951 puts you well in the running as a contributor, as Danny says. Having a father who gained them in the 20's better still. Between the two you bracket the thread title nicely, I'd say. I'm hoping that we may be treated to both tales!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 30th Mar 2013 at 22:36.