PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaps on take off
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2013, 20:47
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear original Poster

Yes, you can attempt to takeoff without flaps...the warning system is just that, a warning ...it won't apply the brakes or shutdown the engines.

You could easily attempt to takeoff with the warning horn blaring. You could "ROLL"...

Your questions was quite understandable and should have been answered: YES YOU CAN ROLL FOR TAKEOFF EVEN IF THE WARNING SYSTEM IS TELLING YOU THE FLAPS ARE NOT CORRECT (or other "configuration problems) .

There is no plane to my knowledge (38 years) that would physically prevent you from taking off with a warning of flaps incorrect.

Do be advised that there are some planes (not many) that takeoff without flaps extended. The Fokker F100 comes to mind.

The Detroit crash was a very tragic one. I flew the same series of planes for many years...and the first thing I did upon entering the cockpit (assuming power on) was to advance the throttles and hear the warning...even before I checked for the circuit breaker position. No warning..check CB and write it up (for maintenance to examine).

Many pilots use "muscle memory" and force their hand to touch the 'flap' handle and make sure it is properly set for takeoff...and we do it just before we attempt to takeoff.

good luck and happy landings