PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedural approach?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2013, 18:33
Spitoon

Originally Posted by HILETI
but is it reasonable to presume that (a) (see below) could be interpreted to mean that if the Controller believes that the a/c is capable of safely and efficiently proceeding to a point on the published approach that does not require flying the full procedure, then they can permit this 'short cut'?
You know what they say about assumptions...

The controller will usually be asked for a clearance to self position. It's a good few years since I was operational and it was certainly the case then and I don't think things have changed much in most places. The only thing the controller is likely to consider before issuing a clearance to self position is whether there is any other traffic in the way or a need to know better where the approaching aircraft is in order to separate it from other traffic. If you honestly think that the average controller knows the capability of each aircraft he or she handles, let alone whether he crew fly it safely to a particular point on the approach, I think you need to visit an ACC or approach room and talk to a few controllers!

And, yes, in some ways ATC has not kept up with the capabilities that some aircraft have, but the system still has to accommodate other aircraft with lesser capabilities. But I suspect the real reason that self positioning is not approved more often is because whilst one (your) aircraft is very capable of making its way to a centre fix or whatever, the controller has to manage all the aircraft and to sequence them, fit in outbounds and transits and a whole bunch of other things. Accommodating a 'self positioner' into a sequence or traffic plan is not easy, allowing two aircraft to self position from a similar distance starts to get into the realms of not really controlling any more. There's plenty of work being done to take advantage of aircraft capabilities and there are some truly fantastic concepts of operation and supporting technological systems being developed (Next Gen and SESAR, for example), but many are not yet able to deliver the goods. Strangely, the technology often seems unable to do the job better than humans.

But ATC has not stood still, maybe it's not so obvious in the aircraft but there have been many changes to the system over the last 10 or 15 years. I guess many of the changes will come into their own when other parts of the new concept of operations gets rolled out. (OK, some of that last bit is slightly tongue in cheek - maybe I've been taking some of the SESAR stuff too seriously again!)