PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2013, 10:32
luffers79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky French Comfort Delivery.

In 1954, I was on 79 Fighter Reconnaissance Squadron in Germany. My Flight Commander P.W. (ex Cranwell) apparently was previously a very young C.O of RAF Sharjah. Very few personnel were stationed there. It was before Oil was discovered. I think the airfield runway might even have been of sand ? They seldom had any aircraft landing there ?
Anyway, one day a DC3 (on one engine) was seen descending into the circuit unannounced. It landed & PW and some mechanics drove out to it.

It proved to be a French Air Force aircraft. The captain was asked where he had been flying to before he got into trouble & decided to divert to Sharjah.

Apparently, it was flying to a French Foreign Legion base somewhere - with a full load of French Prostitutes !!

PW quietly says to his sergeant i/c maintenance, "This aircraft will not be fit to fly for a week- understood ?!!". "Yes Sir !!".

Although everyone was sworn to keep the incident quiet, it soon had spread throughout the RAF.

I´m told that Paul was the last member of his course at Cranwell to get promoted to Squadron Leader because of this !!? He was last heard of strumming his guitar around the worlds sunny sexy flesh spots ???