PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly-by-wire
Thread: Fly-by-wire
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 23:16
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of consigning the thread to a less august forum than Tech Log, can you clarify that?

With any Airbus, my simplistic understanding was always that while in Direct Law control inputs are transmitted unmodified to the control surfaces, and thereby provide a direct relationship between the sidestick and the control surfaces, it still required the computer to receive and transmit those inputs; the main point being that it did not modify them on the way through.

Thus, I have always thought, if all the relevant computers failed (I know, unlikely) the crew would be left with only the elevator trimmer and rudder pedals to control the aircraft, as well as, I suppose, engine thrust. Assuming the hydraulics are OK.

Are you saying that in Direct Law the pilots' inputs go to the control surfaces (or rather the actuators for them, whatever form they have) by a signal that bypasses the computer systems? So the case could never, ever arise where they might have to fall back on the elevator trimmer and so on?