PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 18:12
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
USS Wasp Testing Cancelled Due Sequestration 2013

Thanks for your input 'eaglemmoomin' but one small point (and I'll look for the news report which of course may change now that sequestration has been modified I believe somewhat)

'eaglemmoomin' said: "...It's [F-35B] scheduled to go back this year and weapons will be involved this time...." however I have read that one early consequence of sequestration kicking in was that this second trial of F-35B on USS Wasp this year (2013) had been cancelled. However things change and change again - as we know.

Navy to Cut Air Wings, Deployments, Jets 20 Feb 2013 The Virginian-Pilot| by Dianna Cahn and Mike Hixenbaugh

Navy to Cut Air Wings, Deployments, Jets | Military.com

"NORFOLK -- A little more than a week before the first wave of federal budget cuts would take effect, the Navy on Tuesday released an updated list of savings, including canceling the Bataan amphibious ready group's deployment, buying four fewer F-35 fighter jets and nearly halving training programs for midshipmen, flight officers and new pilots.

The $8.6 billion in cuts are a consequence of Congress's failure to pass a new budget and across-the-board reductions demanded by sequestration. Congress has until March 1 to avert the latter....

...The document shows that the Navy plans to cancel construction of a destroyer, saving $1.4 billion. It would scuttle plans for further testing of the Marine variant of the F-35 fighter plane aboard the Norfolk-based amphibious assault ship Wasp and buy four fewer F-35s -- two each of the next-generation Navy and Marine Corps jets. It is also likely the Navy would not purchase a second Virginia-class submarine in 2014...."

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 29th Mar 2013 at 18:18. Reason: INFOmercial