PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC/ILS self practice
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 18:10
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmmorris
Does it define 'practice instrument approach'? I've always taken that to mean VFR ie if I am solo, an instrument approach has to be IFR even in VMC.

Tim
I am not aware there is a definition. The key thing to remember is you have to look out the window and avoid any traffic unless the visibility is so bad you won't see anything. In class G IFR or VFR there is no guarantee someone isn't in your way, unknown to or uncalled by ATC. In class D in VMC the control doesn't need to separate you from VFR traffic just call it for you to visually avoid it.

My interpretation of 'pratice instrument approach' is where you consciously ignore the outside world to fly down to minimums even after you are visual with the surface or able to hold attitude visually (ie over a cloud deck). Flying it IFR or VFR (assuming you are in VMC) doesn't make a big difference in your obligation to look out the window and avoid conflicting traffic. A 'real' instrument approach is conducted under IFR and the pilot suitably divides their attention between the instruments and the outside view in such a way they can see and avoid other traffic within reason given the weather (I.e gin clear they are mostly eyes out , 020 OVC 850 RVR eye mostly in to DH, RVR 600 George flys pilot monitors George and outside view the whole way down.