PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfix 2013 calendar, desktop downloads.
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 17:49
54Phan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr fish, thank you for that. It was my dad who got me into modeLling (plastic modeLling, just in case Nutloose reads this.) He built the Airfix bagged sailing ships, like the Santa Maria and the Golden Hind, while I watched in fascination. Eager to emulate him, one day while he was at work, I got my hands on his latest project, the "Revenge". Alas, my 7 year old skills weren't quite up to the self imposed assignment. I remember he was remarkably calm when he got home and surveyed the main deck, which his middle child had managed to soften through the application of too much cement! I still got fed though, so he couldn't have been that angry.

I remember reading the blurb on the instructions and getting inspired to research Sir Francis Drake, and I have maintained this love of research and plastic model aircraft even after I discovered "birds and booze."

In my collection of aircraft models, the only outsider is a large Airfix kit of HMS Sovereign Of The Seas, which I purchased for my dad as a present when I was older and got a job paying me better than a paper route. After his death, it devolved to me. (I suppose my sisters couldn't give it away at the yard sale.) I will build it and remember him.

And yes, mr fish, you spoke for most of us when you mentioned longing to build something with your dad again. Remember sir, that memory is life's most precious gift.

Last edited by 54Phan; 20th Apr 2013 at 15:35.