PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfix 2013 calendar, desktop downloads.
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 17:34
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Peaceful, more innocent times.
Indeed they were. We used our imagination and dubious skills to have fun with our model aircraft.

Pride of place went to my 1/72nd Airfix Lancaster. Over the years it became rather grubby and battered after many sorties in chubby hands...I modified it to drop a bomb with a crocodile-type spring clip from a Cat 5 Christmas tree ornament (courtesy of our Scottie), one part of which was wedged into the slot for the stand and the other could be operated by thumb whilst clutching the rear fuselage just behind the wing. Plus a 'bomb' from some other source, although I don't recall whence. The bomb could be taken apart and stuffed with 'caps' which came on a reel for toy guns. Insert bomb into spring clip, take off on imaginary sortie and approach target making Lancaster noises, then release bomb... Which the first time I tried it out landed with a satisfying flash and loud 'crack!', causing our normally placid ginger (ex)-tom to take to the hills for a day or so!

I can't imagine that today's expensive, electronic iToys are quite as much fun. Although the ginger moggie's descendents might disagree!

And the Lanc's eventual demise? BSA Meteor.....need I say more?

Coff, sadly no. The few remaining models in my collection were sent out to Menorca when my late father decided to move there; soon afterwards they were all given away by my step-mother without my knowledge. So I've only the memories now. Although I still have a 1/72nd Frog Hunter FGA9 in 58 Sqn markings, a relic of my 1976 Hunter time.

Last edited by BEagle; 29th Mar 2013 at 18:14.