PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 16:53
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crappy,ill-considered system.
very early on, I was shouted-down , suggesting the battery should isolate before reaching non-rechargeable status. the argument, then, as now, was the need for that extra few minutes'power.

How about , the circuits automatically boot the APU if either battery drains down more than, say , 20% that way, the likelihood of a 2-hour battery-change delay would be virtually eliminated. In case of total in-flight generating-loss, a big red "EMERGENCY FINAL BATTERY RESERVE" switch/button could be activated....then the heroic pilots could wrestle it to the ground , safe in the knowledge that they had brakes and the tin-box would provide a bit of heat in adverse temperatures

IMO, these batteries are being used as a ground-supply as an alternative to a GPU or the APU.....It's wrong!- they're supposed to be for flight-critical emergency backup. Therefore, the APU should be the main power-source in any case where the main engine(s) are not running. I only see up-sides to an automatically-starting APU when a load is detected.

|It isn't hard! about 60 YES! 60 years ago, I stayed in a remote place in Devon, No mains services. If a light or appliance was switched-on, the generator automatically fired-up with a few seconds' time-lapse.

Job needs sorting and practical and commercial objectives need to be assessed by someone who understands the business. the present bunch of Nero wannabe's don't appear to fit the bill, having now pi55ed -off the authorities that they're supposed to work WITH....if they can't get even the basics of business right......