PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways " Think long and Hard"
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 11:11
Flytdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Counterpoint

Cannot dispute the difficulties some may encounter at Qatar Airways, but must say that since my arrival over one year ago I have been treated with respect and my wife and I have enjoyed living here. We have not encountered any untoward behaviour and are satisfied we made a good choice joining this airline.

The initial "bumps" have been ironed out with the only major issue the problem with accommodation. The expected villa did not materialize and we were left to fend for ourselves after a very short period of time. The allowance does not adequately cover the current modest housing so we must supplement with our salary.

"Training" is different from previously encountered. Once one understands that every device and simulator session is actually an exam rather than teaching session, it makes it much easier. Come prepared and things go smoothly.

This is a young company and issues that crop up must be approached calmly and stubbornly. Different cultures have different attitudes toward dealing with problems. This must be respected with perseverance and patience utilised to see it through to the end. One ongoing issue that is affecting many pilots from North America is outstanding still at over nine months but slow progress is being made.

Rosters do vary month to month. Some months have been trying, others very relaxing. Though I do work harder than from previous employment, it is not overwhelming by any means. The pilots I work with are, with very few exceptions, experienced, well trained, positive, and keen. The aircraft are well maintained and clean. The cabin staff, if an effort is made to bridge the ever present "divide", are great to work with and, more importantly, intelligent and well trained. Their youth limits their experience in handling some problems, but the CSDs are well equipped to handle most cabin situations.

Adapting to living in the Gulf takes some, but applying the same techniques as to the workplace works well. To those considering accepting a position with Qatar Airways, I would suggest that if you come with a positive attitude, patience, and a high degree of motivation, you will do well here. The managers here are not perfect and will make mistakes though I believe their attitude toward people management will evolve in a positive way. Cultural differences will be an ongoing challenge but as the airline matures, they should become less of an issue.

So far, happy to be employed by this growing airline.